Select Page

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Victorian Building Authority Complaints & Integrity Hotline?

The Victorian Building Authority Complaints & Integrity Hotline is an independent and confidential service available to receive information relating to improper conduct, unlawful or unethical behaviour and supports Victorian Building Authority’s values and Code of Conduct.

What can be reported?

All integrity matters may be reported, along with any expression of dissatisfaction relating to the VBA’s employees, products, services, or VBA’s handling of a complaint.

Why is Victorian Building Authority introducing the service?

The VBA acknowledges the importance of ensuring their services are timely and effective for all Victorians. The VBA believes that an effective complaints-handling process contributes to improved services and better outcomes for the community.

How do I make a complaint?
Victorian Building Authority has engaged an independent consultant to manage the receipt, recording and reporting of serious misconduct. Stopline is an independent, confidential and impartial conduit for information that enables the reporting of corrupt or improper conduct. Stopline has people experienced in handling sensitive information from stakeholders.
Who is Stopline?

Stopline is an Australian company which specialises in providing integrity/whistleblowing services. It has been operating for over a decade and assists listed and private companies, local, state and Commonwealth public sector bodies and not-for-profit organisations. Further details are available at

Do I have to give my name?

No. Your call to Stopline can, if you wish, be anonymous and the staff of Stopline will not ask for any personal details. You may volunteer the information anonymously to Stopline if you desire or you can be overt. If you do not wish to remain anonymous, this information may be provided to the Disclosure Officer at Victorian Building Authority. If you choose to remain anonymous Stopline will issue a confidential reference and password should you wish to seek the status of your disclosure at some later date. 

How do I make sure my issue gets directed to the right area?

The VBA manages many types of complaints, including those related to our services, staff and conduct.
Several matters are handled via their own processes. Before making a general complaint, please check the following list to make sure your complaint is directed to the appropriate area.
To make a complaint about a building practitioner or plumber, please lodge your complaint via VBA360
Other matters

How does Stopline work?

Stopline enables employees, contractors and stakeholders to report in good faith, suspected misconduct via telephone, email, fax, internet or mail, to an independent organisation with trained staff who will receive your concerns confidentially (anonymously if you wish) and provide the confidential information to the Disclosure Officer at Victorian Building Authority. The program then necessitates procedural requirements dealing with and finalising the outcome of the disclosure.

Who and what is the nominated officer?

A person within Victorian Building Authority is responsible for ensuring that all complaints are handled appropriately.

When should I contact Stopline?
You can contact the Stopline when you have knowledge of any fraudulent, corrupt, unlawful or unethical conduct by an employee and/or contractor.
At what time can I contact Stopline?

You can telephone the Stopline on 1300 30 45 64 (in Australia) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  A Stopline investigator will answer your call during business hours (0800 – 1800 Mon – Fri AEST).  Any messages left with our overnight team will be responded to within one working day. You can also send your disclosure via the internet (this website), email, fax, or mail.

Will I be kept informed about the result of lodging a complaint?

Yes. You will be kept advised about the status of the complaint, decisions made regarding how the matter is to be handled, timeframes that apply and the result of any investigation and action taken. If you choose to remain anonymous, you will be issued with a confidential reference and password and must initiate contact through one of the methods above to receive feedback.

Where else can I obtain information about the hotline and related services?
Full details are available on Victorian Building Authority’s intranet site.